Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

Remember all of that blueberry picking we did in the summer? This is what I'm talking about. Blueberry heaven all throughout the year! This is my grandma's pancake recipe. I have no idea where she got it. All I know is that I am a pancake snob now and nothing has ever come close to competing with this simple pancake recipe. Sometimes, if there is some whole wheat on hand, I will exchange some of the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour and it is still delicious.


Here is the recipe. International House of Pancakes - eat your heart out.

Mema's Buttermilk Pancake Recipe

2 cups flour
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
¼ cup oil
1 cup blueberries (optional)

Combine all ingredients until until well blended. Cook on electric skillet at 350 degrees. When little bubbles come to the surface of the pancake, flip over. Pancakes are done when they bounce back up when touching. If you leave an indentation, they need to cook a little more.

I don't ever follow a recipe for the pancake toppings. Blueberry sauce with added cinnamon, maybe a pinch of nutmeg, sugar, water, and cornstarch works fine. But what I really like is a combination of blueberry and another fruit - especially peach, lemon, or orange. If you use the citrus fruits, the zest makes it out of this world.

I will guess on my measurements for this morning's pancake topping. We had some left over canned peaches in the fridge, so I blended that up, added about 2 cups of frozen blueberries, 2 cups of water, sugar to taste, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Bring all of the above to a boil. Then in a separate cup, add a tablespoon or so of cornstarch and mix with cold water until the cornstarch is mixed in well and you can pour it. Slowly add the cornstarch/water mixture into the boiling berry mixture until you have the desired thickness. That's it. It's so delicious.

This is one of those great breakfasts to have for dinner when you can't think of anything else to make. We've never had a complaint at our house!
Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

Heidi  – (10/24/2008 3:02 PM)  

Oh those look so wonderful!

After making pancakes and waffles from scratch only once or twice, I can't understand Bisquick anymore. The scratch way is truly the best, and really no harder than using a mix.

Ames Family  – (10/24/2008 7:59 PM)  

As Rachel Ray would say, "YUM-O!"

I quit buying Hungry Jack pancake mix because I liked scratch mix better too. I always use 1/2 all-purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour. I love the extra sweetness/richness from the whole wheat flour!

All your yummy food entries are inspiring me to blog about food! Hopefully soon I'll have something worth writing about!! :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP