Guinataan

We used to live in the Philippines over 15 yrs ago, and one time, I stopped to see what a street vendor was selling. I usually was not too adventuresome when it came to trying ethnic cuisines - especially if I didn't know what it was, but for some reason, I did this once.

Looking in the big pot, I thought it must be fish eyes or something equally as bizarre. But it turned out to be little balls made out of sweet rice flour, marble tapioca, plantains, etc, cooked in a coconut milk sauce/pudding. It smelled so wonderful, I gave it a try. I was seriously hooked. Ever since living there, I have tried to find this recipe, but I only knew what the locals called it which I later figured out was not the same name that most Filipinos called it.

Yesterday, I met with some Americans who live in the Philippines and I described it in great detail and found the correct name: Guinataan.

Hello Google - here it is - a picture and all. This is definitely on my to-do list: Guinataan

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP