Raspberries and Flowers






Boy, where does time go? I can barely keep up with anything around here. Raspberries are in and the children and I picked 50 pounds earlier in the week. We made thirteen pies: 2 are eaten and 11 are in the freezer! Woo-hoo! Last year we made a bunch of pies and I mixed berries, but we all decided that our very favorite pie was 100% raspberry. It is truly out of this world. I had to make 2 recipes of pie dough (10 pounds of flour total) from the Make-a-Mix book (Moist Pie Crust recipe). Now with the remaining berries, I'm making 10 half-pints of freezer jam. A few years ago I discovered Pomona pectin. It is great because I can double, triple, or even quadruple recipes. The pectin you get at most grocery stores allows you to only make one recipe at a time - total waste of time for a family like mine.

Oh, and it's definitely popsicle weather. I used yogurt, orange juice concentrate, raspberries, and a bit of honey for these.

Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com
And here are my favorite flowers. Zinnias remind me of the flowers I used to draw in kindergarten.

Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

My echinacea is going crazy, too.

Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com
Hope everybody is enjoying the summer and all the fruit. I'm in berry heaven right now!

Amber Sebold  – (7/15/2006 8:15 PM)  

Wow, 50lbs of raspberries sounds like heaven to me! I absolutely love them. I've never heard of making a pie from them though. I'd love to try that someday, if I can ever afford them at the outrageous prices here in St. Louis!

Interesting blog. :) We hope to have a large family someday.

Anonymous –   – (7/16/2006 12:09 AM)  

Oh my goodness, 50 lbs! WOW! How yummy though!

Anonymous –   – (7/16/2006 1:21 AM)  

You are making me hungry!! I love the flowers.

Jodi  – (7/16/2006 5:53 AM)  

Mmmmm... raspberry pie and jam!! I'm coming to your house!

The flowers are pretty!

Roberta  – (7/18/2006 12:08 AM)  

Yummy! I too love Pomona's pectin! (however after making a batch of blackberry jam with 1/2 cup honey per batch, I'm thinking next time remove seeds first...:)...was a bit thick! might give someone diverticulitis! lol)

I love the pics of your little PJ, I think he and my little bug look so similar. I will be posting pics sometime in the next week if you want to peek in.
Blessings~
Roberta :)

p.s. I like your new hairstyle, it's frames your face so nicely.

Anonymous –   – (8/03/2006 8:34 PM)  

Someone recently gave us those very same popsicle freezers. My boys ask for them all the time.

Beautiful pictures - makes me want to get a new camera. :o)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP