Apples and More Apples


Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com
When we got back from camping, we discovered our Transparent apple tree was dropping lots and lots of apples. The children gathered up more than 10 grocery bags of apples - our biggest lot ever since moving here over 5 years ago. We really don't know what we are doing in caring for the trees. The first few years we trimmed them back like the previous owner had showed us. We didn't get many apples at all. For the last 2 years, we haven't trimmed them at all and now we got a load. Hmm.

19-yr old spent most of yesterday and today working on applesauce and I am taking over tonight as she, her brother, and father went to see Pirates. So far we've got 56 quarts canned. Transparent apples are t - - -a - - -r - - - t - - TART!!! Guess what we'll still be doing tomorrow?

Canning is one of the skills I learned as an adult - in fact, it was the summer after we moved in this house as I noticed our fruit trees ripening. It was fun looking up how to can and having the children involved in the process. We typically can at night (late night) and play games as the jars are processing. It's a great family tradition and I'm sure the kids will have great memories. Yes, indeed, I am a homeschooler - life is full of learning :)

Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com


Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

shizzknits  – (7/08/2006 12:32 AM)  

wowzers, that's a lot of canning! I want to try making some jam....

Jodi  – (7/08/2006 10:51 AM)  

That's alot of apple sauce!!

Canning is something I have always wanted to learn how to do.

Randi  – (7/08/2006 10:57 AM)  

Wow! That is so cool that you have all those jars of yummy applesauce!

Heidi  – (7/08/2006 11:58 AM)  

Mmm homemade applesauce! So much better than the stuff from the store.

Last year I made 60 pints, and it wasn't enough (for just my husband and me). So this year there will be millions!

Have fun!

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"...  – (7/08/2006 4:10 PM)  

Found you via your comment at my friend Navelgazing Midwife's blog.

Lovely blog!

We could be "neighbors"!
Hh

Anonymous –   – (7/09/2006 1:41 PM)  

Isn't it so neat to see all those cans - and have it packed away for awhile. I always like seeing them out for awhile. I also learned to can as an adult. I never remember my mom doing it. I've never canned applesause, but have done several other fruits and veggies. We can meat too - esp. venison. It is so easy, and makes for wonderful, quick meals.

YES! I used to be on AOL's HAH and PHS. Jessica is now almost 10 years old, and doing well. Thanks for stopping by my blog and come again! :) (Have your kids write a poem for my contest!!)

JMom  – (7/13/2006 7:35 AM)  

oh my, that is a lot of apples!! I am still learning how to can too. Our cucumbers are starting to come in so I want to find a good way to make pickles. Do you have a recipe to share?

lv2scpbk  – (7/13/2006 5:52 PM)  

I love apples. Apple dumplings are my favorite. I used to can alot about 15 years ago but don't do it anymore.

Cergie  – (7/26/2006 7:49 AM)  

Much work !
You can do jelly too with apples.
It's very good, like honey in fact.
I like apples but here they are not yet ripe.
Our apple tree has no fruit this year, happily it's easy to find orchards where buy some !

Anonymous –   – (8/03/2006 8:30 PM)  

How fun and amazing to learn something so practical as an adult. We got some caterpillars and a butterfly garden last month and I learned a ton more than the kids did. Homeschooling sure can be a humbling experience.

How neat that you can harvest food off of your land.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :o)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP