Remember those clams?










This is the part about homeschooling I like - everything is a learning project. I came from a family who did not eat seafood - except for tuna. My mom's idea of baking fish was opening a can of tomato sauce and pouring on top of the fish and baking (remember, Mom? - lol). Sorry, but it wasn't too good. I had no clue how to deal with the clams and so I assigned 16-yr old son to make clam chowder. I referred him to
The Joy of Cooking as his guide and made last night's dinner for us. Now he knows the full process: how to catch clams, how to clean them, and how to cook/eat them. Oh, and he enjoyed the process. He agreed that it was good for him to learn how to make it and mentioned that his future wife might be happy to have a husband who can cook at least a little bit.

Okay, put an "X" in the skills-you-want-your-children-to-learn box. What's next?

Randi  – (5/04/2006 9:46 AM)  

You can never underestimate the value of a man with some kitchen skills! ;)

Anonymous –   – (5/08/2006 5:45 AM)  

Clam chowder sounds great... and what a great learning experience. Hmmm... I should get The Joy of Cooking for my husband.

Anonymous –   – (5/08/2006 12:00 PM)  

You just made me hungry... lol

I loved homeschooling. You could cook a fancy dish (and one you WANTED to cook at that) and it could be turned into a valuable lesson!

And your 'field trips' weren't a trip to the zoo, but to places like Mt. Rushmore, Yosemite, or the Redwoods in CA with a stop at Disneyland (off season with no lines!).

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP