Casey


So, I got a call from my brother telling me that I should probably give Mom a call. My parents' beloved dog, Casey, suffered a stroke and could no longer walk. My parents were at the veterinary hospital weighing their options. When I called, the news was not pretty. Casey had lost control of her bowels, could not walk at all, sit, etc. The only thing that resembled the old Casey was her wagging tail. After much consulting and many tears, they decided that the best thing to do would be to put her down. Physical therapy might help, but it also didn't address the incontinent issue. And most likely, she would suffer more strokes. My parents were heartbroken and finally signed the papers to put her down.

I shared this devastating news to our children. We cannot have dogs as I am severely allergic to them. But I have always loved the kids to be able to play with other dogs because they become so much a part of the family. It was sad news, indeed. It is not an easy thing to explain to a 5-year old that sometimes we must end the life of an animal in order for it to be out of misery.

A few minutes later, I called Mom back. She said they were taking Casey home. I thought she meant that the dog would die at home. Turns out, Casey somehow, inexplainably, pulled out of it. The papers were signed to end her life, but somehow she all of a sudden stood up and started walking. This dog was minutes away from death and amazingly recovered. It's been two days since this occurred and Casey appears as normal as ever. The vets called my parents the following day to check and see how Casey was doing. They all were shocked and said that they had never seen/heard of a case like this.

I'm glad my parents get to be with their beloved dog for a little while longer.

Carol  – (3/20/2008 7:05 PM)  

What a great story! I'm so happy for everyone... mostly Casey, who gets to LIVE!

Carol

Jodi  – (3/27/2008 4:12 AM)  

Oh Wow!!! What an amazing story|!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP