Marathon Sewing


Okay - if you sew, and if you like skirts . . . run out and get this book - Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics, by Francesca Denhartog & Carole Ann Camp. My daughters and I have been on a sewing frenzy. In the last week, I've made 4 skirts, and my daughters have made 4 (combined). I may have mentioned that I am tall - nearly 6'4", and that makes it very challenging to find clothes that fit. My daughters are 5'11" and Pearly hasn't stopped yet. When I found this book, I was definitely intrigued about making a pattern based on our very tall measurements. When we lived in the Philippines years ago, I took a pattern drafting class. My notes are in a binder and I haven't done anything with it. When I took a look at this book and saw the pictures, I had to give it a try.

We all made the wrap-around skirt first. It uses the fitted A-line skirt pattern. It took about 20 minutes to make the pattern and maybe an hour to sew the skirt (we revised the ties just a bit to make it even more simple). We drafted our pattern on special fabric for patterns so we can use it over again. I love the skirt except that the tie in the front causes my top to bunch up. What am I supposed to wear on top? Any ideas?

Linda B  – (7/30/2007 8:22 PM)  

I love to sew too. And I am also tall--only 5'10", but my oldest daughter is 6 feet tall and second daughter may still reach it too. We make most of our clothes because we like our skirts long and even "tall girls'" patterns aren't long enough. I need to start thinking about skirts for fall . . .

Brandie  – (7/30/2007 9:39 PM)  

Oh! I absolutely love skirts!
However, I do not like skirts that tie - for the reason that it's much harder to work a top in with that tie IMO!
So I have no advice on what to wear with it. Maybe a nice knit shell and cami twin set?
Sorry, I'm not so helpful, but I think I will be adding that book to my wish list!

Are We There Yet?  – (7/31/2007 2:54 PM)  

hi...I've been reading your blog for months now and think you are a great mom and have a great family. I love all the projects you guys do as a family and hope someday I can do that same for my kids
I just recently started a blog of my own...check it out if you have time

Heidi  – (8/01/2007 9:34 AM)  

Oh, finding sewing patterns for skirts you love is such a thrill!

Would it work to just tie it in a square knot and let the ends hang down?

And although it might annoy you, in the picture, wearing it with the bow and your shirt bunched up a little actually looks okay to me.

Megan  – (8/01/2007 12:49 PM)  

How about a more fitted T-shirt or tank top? One that could tuck into the top of the skirt?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP