Dreamy Saturday


The eBay seller who sold me the Bernina mentioned a neat yarn store nearby - Woodland Woolworks http://www.woodlandwoolworks.com/

The scenery on the way was spectacular. (Click the above link to get a peek.) Out in the middle of this beautiful countryside was a warehouse with all the yarn, spinning wheels, and supplies one could ever need. What a great place. They also have a room with markdowns and I scored above on the Galway yarn.

The Galway yarn will be used for Booga bags. http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html

I have a friend whose dh fell out of a 2nd story window and suffered brain damage recently. She will probably be spending hours and hours as he is going through rehab, so I'm going to help her knit a Booga Bag and we'll both learn how to felt together.

booga bag

She's going to use the lighter blues and grey. My daughters and I will be making the bag using a combination of some of the other colors. If you think about it, please say a prayer for Larry. Larry was in a coma for a couple days, but has since regained consciousness and says a few words. He is recovering physically (eating, starting to walk), but he has quite a ways to go mentally.

Anyway, back to Woodland Woolworks - there are swatches knit up of most of the yarns sold. I've been thinking of making something with very fine lace in an earthy tone, but have no clue what is what on online catalogs. It was great to be able to actually touch the yarns and swatches. Melda (pretty sure that is the owner's name) has knit gorgeous lace swatches in various patterns. My hands never felt such luxury! I found this yarn:


merinosilk

Grignasco Merinosilk with 1,400 yards for $11 in the markdown room. The color is exactly what I was looking for. Oh, and fyi, the yarn is in my lap and I can't stop petting it. Is there something wrong with me?

Anyway, check out Woodland Woolworks, I don't think you will be disappointed. The owner and staff were so personable and friendly. I heard them talking to customers on the phone very professionally.

What a day, score at the rummage sale, got my dream Bernina, and then Woodland Woolworks. Was I dreaming all this? Someone pinch me!

Anonymous –   – (5/02/2005 6:32 AM)  

I get their catalogue! Are you nearby the store? Wow! :) I've only yet been to ONE yarn shop! I've been knitting for about 3 years. I almost bought my spinning wheel from them.

Two Christmas's ago, my daughters and I knit 5 Booga bags for gifts. They are easy and a lot of fun. I think it was the first knitting in the round that we did. And the first felting. I like felting but I feel a little reluctant to put all my knitting into the wash and then you can't see the stitches anymore! :) But they turn out great. We used the Noro. I'd love to hear how the Galway works.

I'll be praying for your friend.

The merino silk is LOVELY! What fun you'll have! I've never heard of the brand. It looks like lace weight? Size 1US?

Jane

Maureen  – (5/05/2005 7:37 AM)  

That is great you are near the store. Plymouth "Galway" is one of my very favorite yarns.It felts beautifully. I have felted about 12 projects with this yarn. I will tell you...in my washer it felts in one to one and a half cycles.This is much faster than other yarns I have used. I will say a prayer for your friend and her family.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP